Allergy: Must Know Things
When your immune system reacts abnormally to any type of foreign substance, that is otherwise harmless to some, then you have an allergy towards it. The foreign substance is called an allergen. Allergies are common all over the world, with about 1 in 6 people being allergic to specific foods, dust, pets, and even medications. Most people with an allergy are not aware of coping with the condition, which leads to utter discomfort.
Hence, to help you out, here are some things that can help deal with your allergies.
Causes of Allergies
Allergies are known to develop when the immune system mistakes a harmless foreign substance for something dangerous. This causes it to produce antibodies to fight it, thus releasing numerous immune chemical substances like histamine, which causes an allergy. Allergies are also developed genetically if the parents have a history of allergic conditions. That is why parents are discouraged to smoke during pregnancy and to breastfeed the child for at least 6 months to reduce the risks.
Types of allergies
There are many types of allergies that a person could be suffering from. However, some of the common types are-
- Food allergies
- Dust allergies
- Pet allergy
- Insect allergy
- Medicinal allergy
The symptoms of an allergic reaction will differ according to the type of allergy that you have. Some symptoms are itchy eyes and nose, cough, blocked nose, swollen tongue, or shortness of breath to name a few.
It can be difficult to avert allergies especially when it is caused by dust. However, there are some ways to keep the problem at bay.
- If you are allergic to dust, cover your face with a mask when you go out of the house. At home, it is recommended that you install an air purifier to eliminate any allergens that may be present in the air.
- Keep a diary to track any allergic symptoms from eating, smelling, or touching anything. This will help your doctor to diagnose your problem and provide solutions to prevent an allergic reaction.
- If there are foods that you are allergic to, be careful of what you eat. You should be more careful when eating out by letting the staff know about the food that you are allergic to.
- If you are allergic to pets, it’s best not to have one at home.
- If you suffer from severe allergic reactions, keep your epinephrine auto-injectors close to you at all times. Wearing a medical alert bracelet can also help because in such cases, sometimes it can be difficult to communicate.
Allergies do not have a specific cure, however, they can be treated and controlled with the help of medications, immunotherapy or allergy shots. It is advisable to nottry self-medication in case of an allergic reaction, and consult a doctor immediately.
Allergies can be dangerous and in worst cases, they can also prove to be fatal. At Apollo Diagnostics, you can avail allergy screening packages based on your symptoms and work towards curing it by seeking consultation from your physician. We also offer free home collection facilities by professional phlebotomist to ensure maximum convenience while undergoing health check-ups. To book anappointment, call 44442424 or visit www.apollodiagnostics.in