Planning your Lifestyle with Hypothyroidism
One of the biggest challenges faced by patients with hypothyroidism is achieving a healthy and active lifestyle. Hypothyroidism by itself leads to a plethora of symptoms such as weight gain, depression, tiredness and difficulty focussing. These symptoms make it difficult for patients to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Treatment of hypothyroidism with medications is often not enough in order to live a healthy life. Patients with hypothyroidism also need to make certain modifications to their lifestyle. This requires planning, dedication and guidance from their doctors. Few ways in which you can plan a healthy lifestyle with hypothyroidism are:
- Diet: Patients with hypothyroidism should ensure that they have a balanced diet, consisting of fresh fruit and vegetables and a balanced quantity of vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Micronutrient supplements such as iodine, selenium and zinc are often needed by patients of hypothyroidism. However, these should be taken only when there is documented deficiency in the body or as and when advised by a physician. In addition, patients must avoid goitrogens, which are foods that can interfere with the normal function of your thyroid glands. These goitrogenic foods include soy food like tofu, vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, kale and spinach, and millet and pine nuts. It is also important to stay away from sugar and processed food items.
- Exercise: Walking, swimming or yoga are great additions to your lifestyle as you embark on a fight against hypothyroidism. Exercise can not only boost energy, but also help in decreasing stress. In addition to this, it also helps in strengthening muscles and alleviating joint pain. It must be remembered that it is important to be regular in your exercise endeavours. Rather than aiming for one-hour cardio sessions from day one, you should start slow by walking for 20-30 minutes and build this up slowly once you have the necessary stamina.
- Sound sleep: One of the essential elements of a healthy lifestyle is ensuring that you get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each day. It is advisable to switch off all electronic devices one hour before you go to sleep and try to develop a healthy regular sleeping habit. As far as sleep patterns are concerned, it is important to stick to a schedule. Excess consumption of tea, coffee or caffeine-based drinks must also be avoided in the late evenings or nights, as they can interfere with sleep. If you have difficulty in sleeping, ensure that your bedroom is dark, quiet and cool. Sometimes, a cup of herbal tea can help in soothing the nerves.
- Handle stress better: Stress is an inevitable part of today’s life. However, you can actively distance yourself from stress triggers. Try to maintain a healthy work-life balance so that you get enough time to destress and unwind. Stay away from emotional arguments as these are common stress triggers. Incorporate meditation and anger management nuances in your daily routine. Also, if you are a habitual smoker or drinker, make a sincere effort to quit or at least reduce your dependency on these substances.
- Indulge in a hobby: Obsession with one’s health can often aggravate this condition and also cause unnecessary stress. Patients often fixate on lab reports and weighing scale numbers. Instead, you must focus on holistic living. One of the great ways to destress and indulge yourself is to pick up a hobby that you left behind in your formative years. Music, dance, painting, gardening and reading are simplistic pleasures that can take your mind off the disease and help you in healing from within.
- Follow your doctor’s advice: The most important aspect of planning your lifestyle with hypothyroidism is working as per your doctor’s advice and taking medication regularly.
With Apollo Diagnostics by your side, managing your thyroid condition will never be an issue. Backed by advanced laboratory technologies and highly qualified technicians, we’re committed to delivering trusted health reports always. To book your Thyroid Profile, call 44442424 or visit www.apollodiagnostics.in