KEEPING LIVER HEALTHY
Liver plays a central role in all the metabolic functions of the human body. It processes the nutrients consumed by us into usable substances, enables the release of toxic matter in the body and also breaks down the fat to produce energy.
Consequently, the liver must be protected against any health disorder or disease. The collapse of the liver can pose serious threat to various physiological functions.
Hence here are some ways by which one can maintain their liver condition and sustain a healthy living:
- Maintain a healthy diet: The build-up of fat inside the liver can prove extremely harmful and give rise to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Thus go easy on food items that are high on calorie, rich in fats and carbohydrates. Eat fibrous fruits like apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries and cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, broccoli and mustard greens.
- Munch on more fruits: Fruits like blueberry, cranberry, grapefruit and grapes contain a high amount of antioxidant that is beneficial for the liver. They enhance the protective mechanism of the liver and may also lower the risks of inflammation. Theses fruits can improve the liver immunity.
- Abstain from alcohol: Alcohol should be consumed in moderation to avoid liver damage. Excess consumption of alcoholic beverages can damage the liver cells which scars the liver. This may lead to swelling and result in cirrhosis. Thus, one should strictly check the intake of alcohol and limit consumption to permissible limits.
- Check your medications: Follow your doctor’s prescription and do not indulge in over dosage as that can prove harmful for your liver. For instance, the painkiller acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be damaging to the liver if taken more than required.
- Workout on a regular basis: Hyperlipidemia is a condition when a high level of fat is accumulated in the blood. This leads to fatty liver diseases, which is very common amongst the populace. Thus one should stick to a workout regimen or physical exercise to keep their weight under control.
- Impose strict hygiene rules: Sharing of razors, toothbrushes, etc. can transmit blood or body fluids that may be contaminated. This contamination can also occur with unsafe injection practices and body piercings. Hepatitis B and C breakout via body fluids and they really weaken the liver condition. Hence one should be careful about personal hygiene.
- Stay away from toxins: Certain cleaning agents, aerosol products and insecticides can have a negative impact on the liver. Wear a mask even if you have to use them and limit your contact with such chemicals. Smoking is also not advisable because the additives can give rise to chronic liver diseases.
- Sip on the right kind of drinks: Recent medical studies indicate that coffee can lower the risk of liver diseases. Even tea has a beneficial impact on the state of liver. Drinking green tea that is high on antioxidants can improve liver enzyme levels and reduce the fatty deposits within the liver.
To get a complete picture of your liver health, book a liver function test with Apollo Diagnostics. Visit: https://www.apollodiagnostics.in/