Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
Blood in urine(Hematuria) is a sign that would definitely frighten you. However, the cause of hematuria is usually harmless but sometimes it may indicate a serious disorder. Therefore, this sign should never be ignored. Blood in urine visible to naked eye is called as gross hematuria while blood visible only under microscope is called as microscopic hematuria.
Various conditions and diseases may cause hematuria includes
- Kidney or bladder infections
- Kidney stones
- Enlarged prostate or prostate Cancer
- Inherited diseases—sickle cell anemia and cystic fibrosis
- Certain medications—penicillin, aspirin, heparin
- Tumor—- kidney, bladder
Sometimes, you may pass red colored urine after eating food containing dyes or after eating excess amounts of beetroot.
Urine is normally pale-yellow color. If blood is present, then the color of the urine may become pink, red, brownish-red or tea-colored. Additional symptoms associated with the underlying cause of blood in urine are as follows
- Bladder Infections-Burning with pain when urinating
- Kidney Infections- Fever, chills and flank pain, pain in the lower back.
- Kidney Stones-Severe abdominal or pelvic pain.
- Kidney Diseases-High blood pressure, puffiness around eyes and swollen extremities.
Assessment of Hematuria
Your doctor may prescribe the following tests to assess the cause of hematuria:
- Urinalysis: It is the primary test to detect blood urine. In this test, a chemical test strip is used to find out the presence of blood in urine. If the results are positive, a microscopic examination is performed. Presence of >3 red blood cells in the urine sample indicates that the patient has hematuria.
- Urine culture: It is done if urinary tract infection is suspected. In this test, a sample of urine is cultured in a nutrient medium to allow the growth of disease causing pathogen.
- Blood test: Serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen may be assessed in your blood sample to assess kidney function. Increase in the levels of these components in blood indicate impaired kidney function.
- Coagulation tests: It may be prescribed if the underlying cause is suspected to be a bleeding disorder.
- Prostate specific antigen(PSA) test: This test may be prescribed if prostate cancer is suspected.
- Imaging tests: These tests help in view the urinary tract and find out the cause of bleeding. They include computed tomography, ultrasound, and intravenous pyelogram.
- Cytoscopy: This test involves insertion of small tube with attached camera into the bladder through the urethra. This test helps in viewing the inner lining of the bladder. This procedure can help in collecting a e a tissue sample for biopsy to check for cancerous cells.
Unless a serious condition is causing the hematuria, no treatment is necessary. Treatment is aimed at the underlying cause. Depending on the condition, antibiotics are given to clear the urinary tract, trying a medication which shrinks enlarged prostate or having shock wave therapy to kidney stones or break up bladder.
Some popular home remedies which are being used since very long time have proved quite effective to reduce hematuria includes
- Barley water
- Mango tree bark with honey
- Coconut water
- Vitamin C rich fruits
- Bitter guard juice
Why choose Apollo Diagnostics?
We have the expertise of 34 + years in healthcare. Our labs are equipped with EQUAS (External Quality Assurance System) and loaded with full automated machines to ensure error free reports, with a quick turnaround time, and at an affordable price. For your convenience, we offer free home collection of samples.
For appointments, please call 4444 2424.
- Blood in Urine (Haematuria). https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blood-in-urine/symptoms-causes/syc-20353432. Accessed on 31-10-2017.
- Blood in Urine (Haematuria). https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/blood-in-urine-causes#2. Accessed on 31-10-2017
- What Causes Blood in Urine? https://www.healthline.com/symptom/blood-in-urine. Accessed on 31-10-2017
- Blood in Urine (Haematuria). https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-in-urine/Pages/Introduction.aspx#. Accessed on 31-10-2017.
- Natural tips for hematuria (blood in urine). http://www.nftips.com/2014/04/natural-tips-for-hematuria-blood-in.html. Accessed on 31-10-2017