Top 5 Tricks to Avoid Getting Sick
There is a saying, “Death is natural; sickness is not.” Getting sick is a reflection of certain things that are going wrong with our body, due to certain incorrect choices and callousness with regards to our health.
- Washing your hands properly – Hand hygiene is the first line of defence against several types of infectious diseases. It is surprising that most of us have a careless approach towards washing hands. The improper hand-washing technique is as good as not washing your hands, at all. Make sure you lather the back of your hands, the area between your fingers and even beneath your nails. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends scrubbing for 20 seconds for hand hygiene. Be informed that alcohol-based hand sanitizers cannot get rid of all types of germs and they are ineffective against pesticides and heavy chemicals.
- Eating the right diet – Reduce the incidence of sugar and salt from your diet. You do not have to eliminate them altogether. Aim for a balanced diet with a healthy tilt towards nutritious and fibre-rich foods. Make sure that you increase your intake of green vegetables and fresh, seasonal fruits. The right food choices can make you feel active instead of sluggish or bloating. Foods like garlic, oats, apples, nuts, tea, berries, oysters, broccoli and almonds are known as immunity boosting foods, capable of keeping diseases at bay.
- Exercises – Even exercising for at least half an hour for five days a week is good for warding off sickness. Ideally, the right time to exercise is early in the morning. So you should aim to get up early and workout for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Exercising can be hugely productive; it can benefit you in many ways. Apart from making you feel desirable, powerful, energetic and improving your self-esteem, it can also boost your immunity. Choose the kind of workout regime that you like and stick to it.
- Surround yourself with positive people – The company you keep also determines the kind of outlook you have in life. If you are in a circle which breeds negativity, then you are bound to feel low, frustrated and miserable. The psychological state has a huge bearing on one’s physiological condition. So surround yourself with people who have a positive outlook on life, have a sense of humor and indulge in healthy competition. Also, read the material or watch content that is uplifting and inspirational. Do not take things personally and participate in activities that minimize stress.
- Diagnostic tests – Even if you may look healthy outwardly, there may be things wrong with you on the inside. You should take advantage of diagnostic services and go for a complete blood test and other laboratory tests at least once a year. Go for a diabetic screening, have diagnostics tests done to gauge the functioning of your liver, kidneys, thyroid and cholesterol levels. When you do a complete health check, you can have the peace of mind that you are in good health. Even if certain abnormal things are deducted in the course of tests, they can be rectified and treated upon. Once you are in your 40s, it is recommended to do PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) Test, if you are a male.
Instead of being reactive, let’s be proactive and get diagnostic tests done. One does not even have to go a pathology center, you can avail the service by going for the option of ‘home sample collection, too.
Contact your nearest diagnostic service center for more information on various laboratory tests to be done, as per your age and medical condition.