Pneumonia Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Jun 03, 2020
neumonia is infection of the lungs. It is characterised by inflammation of the alveoli in the lungs. Though pneumonia can be treated effectively with antibiotics, late detection of the disease can lead to severe complications and even death.
- Bacteria - It is caused by Streptococcus pneumonia or pneumococcal bacteria. Bacterial infections are more severe than other types of pneumonia
- Viruses - Pneumonia caused by different viruses most commonly affects children
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain that becomes worse when you sneeze or breathe
- Fever and chills
- Reduced appetite
- Haemoptysis (Blood tinged sputum)
- X-ray of the chest
- Blood tests to check the white blood cells count
- Sputum culture
- CT scan of the chest
- Take antibiotics prescribed by a doctor (if it is a bacterial infection).
- As coughing helps in getting rid of mucous from the lungs, do not take cough syrups on your own without the doctor recommending it.
- Take lot of fluids.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Visit a diagnostics centre near you if the symptoms are severe and home care is not possible.