Women are always trying to balance their hectic life between home and office. Due to which they often forget to take care of themselves. As women get older, they are prone to more health problems and need regular medical health tests done.
Here are a few tests that are a must for women who are 35 years of age and above:
- Thyroid test – When a woman goes through unexplained bouts of weight gain, hair loss, brittle nails and exhaustion, a common reason may be an under active thyroid or an over active one. The thyroid gland secretes hormones known as T3, T4 and TSH that are responsible for controlling the metabolism of the body. Any variation of these, leads to major hormonal changes that a body may experience. These changes occur especially during pregnancy, delivery, lactation and menopause. A thyroid test is recommended every five years after the age of 35.
- Vitamin D test and Calcium Deficiency Test– Vitamin D and calcium are vital nutrients that are essential for bone growth and improving the immune system. As women grow older, the tendency to synthesise these nutrients decreases. A few signs of their deficiency are pain in the limbs and weak bones. Getting your vitamin D and calcium levels checked on a regular basis is crucial. It can avoid osteoporosis, backbone problems and fractures,
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency Test – The lack of vitamin B12 affects 8 out of 10 Indians due to untimely diagnosis. Fatigue, weakness, forgetfulness and disorientation are the primary ill effects you can suffer if you are vitamin B 12 deficient. Regular B12 deficiency testing is needed so that you can regulate your diet and supplements accordingly before any major damage. Vitamin B12 is very essential for muscle health and development. If you are planning to extend your family further, do make sure to avoid vitamin B12 deficiency.
Apart from the above, the following tests are also vital:
- Lipid profile – This test checks for good and bad cholesterol along with total cholesterol levels. As we know, cholesterol is a fat molecule and can be found accumulated in the blood vessels if found in higher levels. They affect the health of the heart and brain. If the test shows a result on the higher side, it is advised to take the test every 6 months.
- Pap Smear Test – It is estimated that every year about 74000 women die of cervical cancer. Its fatality can be reduced only if it’s treated in its early stage. But cervical cancer has no marked symptoms until it’s too late. That is why getting a Pap Smear Test done once in every two years is a must especially for women who are sexually active as the cancer can be caused by a sexually transmitted virus (HPV) too.
While you may not be able to determine which condition may affect you all of a sudden, it is best to have a full body check-up and regular gynaecological exams to handle health problems at the earliest. Apart from getting these tests done on a regular basis, it is also necessary to choose a credible and reliable diagnostics centre. That is why choose Apollo Diagnostics. The pathological technicians at Apollo Diagnostics will be able to diagnose your condition accurately using their expertise, experience, and state-of- the-art technology. Apollo Diagnostics even provides a free home collection service for your ease and convenience. All you have to do is call us on 44442424 to avail this facility.